The Bureau of the Seventh Meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COP) to the Stockholm Convention met from the 14th to the 15th May 2014 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Trinidad and Tobago is one of the nine vice-presidents on the Bureau of the Stockholm Convention, and one of two (2) representatives of the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) region. The country was represented by Ms. Keima Gardiner, Environmental Engineering Specialist of the Environmental Policy and Planning Division, Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources.
Ms. Gardiner at the Bureau Meeting of the COP to the Stockholm Convention
in Switzerland , 14 -15th May, 2014.
Bureau members, inter alia,:
- reviewed the progress made in the implementation of the decisions adopted by the Conference of the Parties at its sixth (6th) meeting which was held in Geneva, Switzerland, from 28 April to 10 May, 2013
- discussed the preparations for the seventh (7th) meeting of the Conference to be held back to back with the meetings of the Conferences of the Parties to the Basel and Rotterdam Conventions in 2015
- reviewed reports presented on the work of the Persistent Organic Pollutants Review Committee (POPRC), the development of the draft memorandum of understanding between United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Conference of the Parties to the Stockholm Convention
- were updated on the preparations for the Joint Bureaux Meeting of the chemicals and waste conventions to be held in November, 2014
- discussed the progress of implementation of relevant decision at the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) held in June, 2014 and other substantive matters such as compliance issues, synergies for the programme of work, financial resources and technical assistance.